Alberta’s harsh climate requires the use of energy efficient technologies for home construction and renovation. Otherwise, utility bills will be unnecessarily high. And despite the overpayment, the home will never be warm enough in the winter or cool enough in the summer.
The most effective way to improve the energy efficiency of a house is to install insulated PVC windows. They will replace old window constructions, through which up to 50% of heat loss occurs. Investments in buying “warm” windows quickly pay for themselves due to lower gas and electricity costs.
Canadian window company Canglow provides services to replace old and uneconomical constructions with energy efficient windows. With our help, you will forever get rid of drafts, freezing and mold, create a comfortable microclimate in your cottage regardless of the weather outside, and increase the value of your property on the market.
How windows improve the energy efficiency of a home
Why exactly do windows contribute to the insulation of a home:
- Reduced heat loss through the frames. Classic thin wooden or aluminum structures have a relatively high heat transfer coefficient. They are cooled by the air from the street, so they form “cold bridges”. They reduce the efficiency of the heating devices and the thermostat has to be set higher than necessary.
- Low heat loss through glass. Most homes in Alberta use glass without air interlayers to save money during construction. They get very cold in the winter and come in contact with warm indoor air. This causes condensation on the surface, which leads to mold growth. In energy-efficient constructions, the problem is solved by installing double-glazed windows with air chambers.
- No gaps and draughts. Sashes in PVC windows, unlike wooden ones, are hermetically sealed to the frames, and the joints are additionally sealed with rubber tape. Thanks to this, even in a strong wind, cold air flows do not penetrate into the house. The room will always remain warm and cozy.
- Sealing the window opening with foam. In the process of replacing old windows with energy efficient ones, builders carefully fill the gap between the frame and the opening in the wall with foam with a low thermal conductivity coefficient. A flashing is installed on top to protect this space from water intrusion. This installation technology completely eliminates the penetration of cold air into the room, which causes frost, mold, and fungus to appear on the surface of the jambs.
- Insulating the slope. Builders can additionally insulate openings with materials with a low coefficient of thermal conductivity. These measures, combined with energy-efficient windows, can reduce heating and air conditioning costs by a third.
Features of insulated windows
Canglow only makes insulated window frames and doors. These differ from conventional designs in several ways:
- Polyvinyl chloride with air chambers. Plastic profiles for frames and sashes have a complex internal structure. They have compartments filled with air. Due to the low thermal conductivity of gas, losses through the enclosing structures are significantly reduced. PVC windows keep the heat well in winter and do not let the heat from the street in summer.
- Double and triple glazing. Instead of a single pane, a sealed package of two or three panes is installed in the frame, with an air gap left between them. It works in the same way as the pockets in the profiles. The minimal coefficient of thermal conductivity of air contributes to the preservation of heat inside. The effectiveness of such windows can be verified by inspecting the modernized house with a thermal imaging camera
- No deformation. Plastic does not change its size and shape regardless of the impact of moisture and temperature. The window sashes will always close well and adhere to the frames. The owner of such windows can be sure that gaps in them will not appear until the end of operation.
- UV protection. The polymer has special additives that prevent the negative impact of UV radiation on the structure. They can be used on the south side of the house without fear of deformation, cracking and warping. The frames retain their initial color without periodic painting.
Innovative technologies for window insulation
Canglow engineers utilize special technologies when manufacturing windows that further improve their energy efficiency:
- Metallized coating. When manufacturing double-glazed windows, a LoE layer can be applied to the surface of the glass. The special composition reflects infrared rays that heat up the room in summer. Thanks to this, less electricity is needed to air-condition the rooms. In winter, the same layer helps to keep the heat inside.
- Filling insulating glass units with argon. The inert gas in the spaces between the panes of glass has a lower heat conductivity coefficient than air. Windows become more energy efficient. Heat energy losses through them are reduced to almost zero.
- Safe polymer. PVC, which does not contain lead and its compounds, is used for the manufacture of profiles. The material is completely safe for human health and the environment. The service life of windows exceeds 30-40 years without the need for major repairs.
What energy efficient windows can be ordered from Canglow
Installing energy efficient windows does not mean that you have to settle for standard structures with a simple design. Our engineers can fulfill any customer’s wishes regarding the size and appearance of the products.
They will not just insulate your cottage, but will transform its facade. The house will stand out against the background of neighboring buildings and will attract the attention of potential buyers or tenants.
To see the possible designs, go to SEE ALL PRODUCTS
What benefits energy efficient windows offer
The main advantage of replacing old windows with energy efficient ones is the reduction of utility bills. The savings are tangible in winter, when heating devices work, as well as in summer, when the air in the house is cooled by an air conditioner. You make the investment in buying new plastic structures once, but the economic effect of it will last for decades.
In addition, you will get extra perks when you buy windows in Canglow:
- Improving the appearance of the facade. Frames and sashes can be of different sizes and shapes, colors and textures. It is possible to make constructions that fit organically into the design, or completely transform the appearance of the cottage.
- Increased functionality. Old windows can only be opened for ventilation. Fittings of modern energy-efficient constructions allow opening them horizontally or vertically, sliding the sashes to the side.
- Increased security. Engineers can install burglar-resistant locks and reinforced hinges on request. Fragile-looking plastic frames protect your home from intruders.
- Increased property value. A beautiful home’s exterior and improved energy efficiency increase the market value of the home. If you want to sell it, your investment will be recouped with interest. What’s more, the increased demand will make the transaction faster.
- No repairs. The long service life of PVC frames and double-glazed windows, as well as the stability of size and shape allows for maintenance-free operation of the structures. They do not need to be constantly adjusted to the frames, hinges adjusted, repainted and varnished.
What does turnkey window installation mean
When you contact a Canglow window company to replace your old windows, you will receive a comprehensive service. This includes:
- Measurements and design. Our engineer will travel to the site and measure the window openings to produce frames of the appropriate dimensions. They will be perfectly matched to the installation site.
- Production according to individual specifications. We draw up a technical specification, in which we specify wishes on the shape, type of glass, color, texture and other characteristics. You get a unique window made specifically for your home.
- Installation with insulation. Our craftsmen take over the installation of window units at the customer’s site. We deliver frames, dismantle old structures and install new ones with sealing and finishing of slopes.
- Warranty and Service. Canglow guarantees the quality and lifetime of your window. Our experts will repair any defects that may be discovered during operation, free of charge.
In addition to energy efficient windows, we can install insulated PVC doors in your home. These enclosures prevent heat loss through openings and contribute to the thermal insulation of your home.
How to order a service
Want to reduce your monthly utility bills? Decorate your home and increase its value before selling? Get rid of drafts, mold, excess moisture, and freezing temperatures in the winter? Order energy efficient window installation in Canglow.
Save Up To $9,555*
Request Your Free Estimate Now & Save up to $9,555 on Your Order
To place a request, use the electronic form on the website or call our specialists at the phone number provided. Come to our Edmonton office where you can view our completed projects, choose the windows for you and complete the necessary paperwork.
In addition, we offer advantageous financing programs. By taking advantage of the lending organization’s offer, you can insulate your home this month and pay for it over the next year or two.
HAVE A QUESTION?
Typically, replacing/installing new windows and doors takes between 3 hours and 2 days. The time depends on the number of windows and doors to be replaced/installed.
Canglow Windows & Doors windows are energy efficient and Energy Star certified. Our windows also come with supporting documentation in the form of stickers on each window that show all the energy saving features.
Yes, when you order your windows from Canglow, you will receive a certified product that is eligible for the Canada Greener Homes Grant program.
When you buy windows in Canglow, you can get between $125 and $250 per window. The amount of the rebate depends on the type of glazing, style and size of the window. Our managers can help you find the best deal.
Of course I do! Our company provides a top quality product and excellent installation service. We are confident in the quality of our product and service, so we give our customers a 25 year warranty on Canglow windows.
Each case is different, but there are a few main factors that require replacement of old windows:
your windows are blowing and you feel a draft
You are cold in the winter
your windows leak
the glass on your windows is cracked
you want to make your home more energy efficient
There is no hard and fast rule when it comes to window replacement timelines. The age of your home, the type of materials used to construct your windows, and the condition of the window units will all need to be considered when determining the need for replacement. There have been many advancements in recent years when it comes to window manufacturing, making them far more durable and long-lasting. An investment in new windows for your home should last a long time.